Friday, April 12, 2013

Meet our graduate Geoffrey and his dad!

Meet Geoffrey. He is one of our recent secondary school graduates with a concentration in Mathemathics, Physics, Chemistry. He would like to help families in need after school.




Below is a recent interview with Geoffrey:

Tell us about your family.
We are four at home, and my sister who lives away, where she works.

What do you want to do for a job after school?
I want to be an Engineer, and computer programmer.

What difference has school made in your life?
School has improved my way of thinking.

What has been your most favorite moment of the current school year?
I enjoyed being in boarding school, because I was able to study with others without distractions.

What has been the most challenging thing in school this year?
I once got sick, and that was my only challenge to deal with as I was in boarding school for the first time.

How do you want to create improvement in your community?
After achieving the education level of my dream, I will help children in terms of education, and will also support families in needs.


Geoffrey's father George is extremely proud of his son's accomplishments and thankful he is able to go to school.





"I have realized that I will never get a piece of land in this country besides where I stay; therefore, I have nothing to leave to my children since I have no cows, not even a piece of land. I put my children in school when I was still able to work, and that is the only inheritance that I want for my children.

I was forced to have an early retirement, and received little money, which I mostly used towards my childrens' education; unfortunately, my retirement money was not enough to further their education. Geoffrey was only able to study up to the fourth year, Hope up to the fourth year, Murashi up to the second year, and Mihigo up to the sixth year.

By the grace of God, miracles happen. One day, A Voice For Rwanda [Global Capacity's field partner] helped me support two of my children, the other two were supported by my old friends." 



To honor Geoffrey and our other graduates for their hard work, we are planning a graduation ceremony and party! This special occasion will take place the afternoon of Thursday, April 18. We expect close to 100 people in attendance including: our graduates and their families, our students, and the village leaders.
We need your help in writing a note of congratulations or encouragement to Benjamin or our other graduates.  If you would like to write a special note to them for their graduation day, click HERE.

No comments: