Thursday, June 21, 2012

I watched my grandma Jeanette die from AIDS




The following is from a donor who gave towards the 'Save a Baby's Life' campaign: 

Hey Matthew,

Thank you for your continued work in Rwanda. This story touched me very personally and I knew that I had to contribute toward bringing Jeanette's baby boy into the world without HIV. I'm not sure if you know this, but my dad's mother, my grandma, Jeanette, acquired HIV through a contaminated blood transfusion in the mid-1980s when we were just beginning to hear about this new virus called HIV and it's physical manifestation - AIDS. At that time, there were no treatments at all and many public misconceptions about how contagious it was, so my sister and I were told not to tell our childhood friends to avoid unnecessary fears and stigma. 

We watched my grandmother, one of the most beautiful women I've ever known, become very sick and slowly deteriorate as a result of AIDS. She passed away in June 1987, 25 years from this coming Sunday. It's a sad anniversary for me. When I read about Jeanette's story, I was so moved and of course I immediately thought of my own Jeanette. 

I really want to thank you and Global Capacity for the lives that you are changing and for how you are sharing the love of Christ in practical ways with those in need. I will be praying for Jeanette and look forward to updates. I have shared this information with my family. Please let me know if there are other ways to help.

In gratitude,
Julie F.

Read more about the campaign at  http://globalcapacity.org/help-save-a-babys-life/


No comments: